The Tumut wetlands is an area of approximately 20 ha located on the edge of Tumut township at the junction of Snowy Mountains Highway and Gocup Road with the Tumut River along the eastern side of the wetland. The area is Crown Land which was dedicated as a permanent Common on 18th November 1870. Snowy Valleys Council is Trustee of the Common.
Since completion of the Eucalyptus Walk and Travelling Stock Reserve the committee has taken on a maintenance role.
At the Ordinary Council meeting held on Thursday 16 April 2020 it was resolved that the Friends of Tumut Wetlands Committee cease being an advisory committee and become a volunteer group.
Membership of the group is open to all members of the public.
Email: [email protected]
Phone:1300 275 782 (1300 ASK SVC)
From 1994 volunteers including Tom Scott have collated photographic and field records at the wetland which culminated in Mr Scott compiling the Management Concept Report for Tumut River Common in 2001 which was accepted by Council.
The Riverina Highlands Landcare Network invited interested members of the public to get involved with a wetlands working group. The Friends of Riverglade Wetlands group met for the first time on the 15th October 2003, and a working agreement was formed with Council.
On the 4th November 2008 Governor, Professor Marie Bashir AC, CVO officially opened the Riverglade Wetlands.
In September 2008 Council agreed to expand the Riverglade Wetlands project to include the adjoining Travelling Stock Reserve and Eucalyptus Walk. The Eucalyptus Walk was an idea of Ken Stubbs and involves a walking track along the Gilmore Creek at the back of the sewerage treatment plant currently controlled by Council.
- In 1993 Mr Tom Scott and Mr Kevin Hedley, through their volunteer work for the Murray Darling Basin RAAU Bird Survey, identified 41 waterbirds and 39 bird species at the then Common.
- In 1997 Mr Tom Scott and Tumut Shire Council formed a Wetlands Committee with the support of the Blakeney Millar Foundation through a $2,000 grant.
- In May 2003 Janet Mackay & Associates, in association with DSB Landscape Architects developed the Riverglade Wetlands Management Plan which was then adopted by Council. This plan was based on Mr Tom Scott’s original restoration plan and which now resides in the Tumut Library.
- In 2004 Tumut Shire Council, Landcare and members of the community successfully applied for a grant from the Environmental Trust for $98,500.00. Over the following three years the grant was spent restoring and rehabilitating the Riverglade Wetlands.
- In 2006 construction of main walking/cycle track of approximately 2km completed including two steel pedestrian bridges.
- In 2007 construction of internal walking track of approximately 1km completed including one steel pedestrian bridge.
- In 2007 installation of interpretive signage completed.
- 2007 Regional Landcare Award Winner.
- 2007 State Landcare Award Winner.
- 2007 National Landcare Award Runner-up.
- In 2008 Tumut Shire Council allocated $70,000, from Section 94 Parks Developer Contribution Funds to expand the Wetlands and develop the adjoining Travelling Stock Reserve and an area of the Tumut Sewerage Works being the Eucalyptus Walk.
- In 2008 obtained agreement from the Rural Lands Protection Board to allow for the Travelling Stock Reserve to become part of the Wetlands.
- In 2008 Rural Lands Protection Board signed a 10 year Property Vegetation Plan Agreement with the Murrumbidgee Catchment Management Authority.
- In 2008 Tumut Shire Council provided water troughs as an alternative Travelling Stock Reserve on the Gocup Rd.