Kerbside waste pickups will continue as normal schedule over the Christmas period including Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.
Garbage wheelie bins (red lids) are collected weekly and recycling wheelie bins (yellow/green lids) are collected fortnightly, on the same day.
- Wheelie bins must be at the kerbside by 6am on the morning of your area’s scheduled collection day (collection times may vary from week to week)
- Wheelie bins must be placed on the kerbside with the front of the bin facing the road and the wheels at the back, and spaced at least 1 metre apart
- Ensure the lids are completely closed when out for collection
- Please do not overfill or place materials beside bins
- Avoid placing wheelie bins near trees and parked cars
- Please think about the safety of your collection driver and don't place wheelie bins in driveways or other hazardous locations
Failure to follow these simple rules may result in your bin not being collected.
For more information download our A-Z guide(PDF, 384KB)
Household rubbish goes in your garbage bin (red lid). Common items including food scraps (if you can’t compost), meat scraps, dirty nappies, cat litter, non-recyclable packaging, broken glass, vacuum cleaner dust & bag, tea bags and more can be disposed of in your red lidded bin.
What not to put in your garbage bin
The following list is considered hard waste and should not be put into your garbage bin. These items can be disposed of free-of-charge at your local Community Recycling Centre located at Tumbarumba and Tumut Waste Depots.
- Cooking oil
- Flouro tubes & Light bulbs
- Smoke alarms
- Gas cylinders
- Electrical appliances
- Household paint
- Motor oil
Being waste wise is everyone’s responsibility. Separating your waste helps look after our environment. Reuse, recycle and compost, to help reduce the amount of rubbish going to landfill.
Did you know, staff from the disability support organisation, Valmar, sort all of your recycling by hand?
Household rubbish dumped into recycling bins causes terrible working conditions for the Valmar team who work hard for the benefit of the community and the environment, so please:
- Only place recyclable materials in your recycling bin
- Don't put them in shopping bags first; put them individually into the recycle bin. Materials in plastic bags cannot be processed safely and are therefore treated as contamination
- Never put injecting material, or items that have been in contact with injecting material or medical waste in recycling bins. Sharps will endanger staff
Recycling bins are checked from time to time and contaminated bins are left uncollected. Please help Council and Valmar work for the betterment of the environment and the reduction of unnecessary costs.
These things are just rubbish and go in your garbage bin (red lid):
- Plastic shopping bags
- Medical waste, including sharps
- Food waste
- Broken glass
- Plastic plates, knives and forks
- Broken plastic toys
For more information visit the RecycleNight website - www.recyclenight.org.au
Other recycling rubbish can be taken into the Community Recycling Centre or dropped off at your local Waste Depot
Unwanted goods and materials such as books, clothing, furniture, appliances and building materials are potentially reusable and can be donated to charities or dropped off at the Tumut Recycling Centre.
If your service is missed, please contact our Customer Service Team as soon as possible, the matter will be investigated and where necessary, a make up collection will be undertaken.
P: 1300 ASK SVC (1300 275 782)
E: [email protected]
If your wheelie bin is damaged or stolen you will need to replace the bin at your own cost.
Wheelie bins are available for purchase from Council offices:
- Tumbarumba Office - Bridge Street, Tumbarumba
- Tumut Office - 76 Capper Street, Tumut
- Red Lidded Garbage Wheelie bins $71.00 (incl GST) each
- Yellow Lidded Recycling Wheelie bins $102.00 (incl GST) each
Payment can be made by either cash or card at Council offices and the new bins can then be collected from the Tumut or Tumbarumba Waste and Recycling Depots during opening hours.