Seasonal Waste Weekends
Throughout the year, Council hosts Waste Weekends, allowing members of the community to dispose of larger household items such as mattresses, refrigerators and other large whitegoods and furniture items, free of charge.
The waste weekends occur four times a year in Adelong, Batlow, Khancoban, Talbingo. Tumbarumba and Tumut.
Click here for operating hours
This service is for residential properties only and does not extend to commercial waste or construction and demolition waste. Sensible volume limits apply and there are safety restrictions on what types of materials can be accepted.
Spring – Saturday 7 and Sunday 8 September 2019
Summer – Saturday 7 and Sunday 8 December 2019
Autumn – Saturday 7 and Sunday 8 March 2020
Winter – Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 July 2020
Waste Weekend Guidelines
- Residents can dispose of up to 1 cubic metre of general non-recyclable waste per day. Charges will apply for volumes exceeding 1 cubic metre.
- A cubic metre is about 4 large wheelie bins, or a standard ute load, standard box trailer load or a standard large mattress.
- Commercial quantities of chemicals, asbestos and truck/tractor tyres will not be accepted over the weekend and there is a minimum of 2 standard car tyres allowed per load.
- Always sort your waste from recycling and cover your load
- Have your rates notice or drivers licence on hand to prove that you live in the Snowy Valleys Council area
What can I recycle for free everyday?
- Cardboard, paper, steel, aluminium, car batteries and used motor oil can all be disposed of for free during operating hours at all Snowy Valleys' Waste and Recycling sites.
- The Tumbarumba and Tumut Community Recycling Centres also accept the following recycled materials all year round at no charge:
- Household Batteries
- Gas Bottles
- Other Oils
- Smoke Detectors
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fluoro Globes and Tubes
Waste and Recycling Charges
Click here to download the current waste and recycling fees and charges(PDF, 146KB)