Where Can I Recycle...

Green Waste

Snowy Valleys Council does not currently offer a kerbside green waste collection service. Service reviews in the future will consider this service demand versus cost.  

We encourages residents to compost their green waste and fruit and vegetable scraps. 

Off-site Green Waste Collection Depots

Backyard Burning

Backyard burning is not permitted in urban areas without prior approval from Council.  

Burning vegetation in your backyard, particularly garden waste (leaves, grass clippings, tree branches, etc.) pollutes the air and can cause considerable nuisance to neighbours.  Approvals are not issued lightly and will only be considered when all other avenues of disposal have been considered by the applicant.

Fire pits and fire buckets are exempt as they are a form of solid fuel heater, not an incinerator. However, they must be operated similar to a normal solid fuel heater, that is, for burning dry timber only.

Apply to Burn Vegetation  by submitting a permit application to Council. 

  • A Council officer will visit your premises, inspect the green waste and discuss disposal options
  • If a permit is issued, you must inform NSW Fire & Rescue and the Rural Fire Service, 24 hours prior to the burn occurring
  • You must comply with the permit conditions
  • Permit is valid for 30 days

Click here to go to our Forms page where you can access the Burn Vegetation Application Form.  Use the search bar on the page to easily find the form you are after.


Residents and small businesses can access a free service to drop off their old televisions, computers and computer components.  Drop off facilities have been established at the Tumut Waste & Recycling Centre and the Tumbarumba CRC

Products accepted free-of-charge

  • Plasma televisions
  • Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) televisions
  • Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) televisions
  • Rear Projection televisions
Computer Equipment:
  • Portable processing machines – i.e laptops, notebooks & palmtops
  • Desktops/Central Processing Units (CPUs)
  • Computer monitors
  • Printers
  • Multi-function devices that print, copy, scan and/or fax
  • Cards, motherboards
  • Web cameras
  • Compact disk drives
  • Digital video disk drives
  • Hard drives
  • Floppy drives
  • Mouse and trackball
  • Scanners
  • Keyboards
  • Joysticks and gamepads
  • Electrical transformers designed to be housed in same cabinet as the CPU

Products that are not accepted as E-waste

  • Video recorders
  • DVD players
  • Radios
  • Game consoles
  • Appliances
  • Mobile phones
  • Power tools

For more information on this free service contact our Customer Service Team during business hours.

Agvet Chemical Containers

Snowy Valleys Council supports drumMUSTER the national program for the collection and recycling of empty, cleaned, non-returnable crop production and on-farm animal health chemical containers.

Adelong, Batlow, Khancoban, Tumbarumba and Tumut Waste Depots are accredited Drum Muster facilities and will accept empty, clean eligible Agvet chemical containers for collection, processing and recycling.  No appointment in necessary, just bring in your triple rinsed drums whenever the sites are open for business.

Learn more about drumMaster and how to triple clean your chemical containers ready for drop off at drumMuster.org 

Motor Waste

Motor waste is classified as hazardous waste and should never be mixed with ordinary household rubbish or recycling.   

Used motor oil and car batteries can be dropped off free of charge at the  Adelong, Batlow, Khancoban,Talbingo, Tumbarumba  and Tumut Waste Depots

Tyres should be taken back to the dealer for recycling (charges may apply).

Silage Wrap

Recycling your farm silage wrap is a sustainable alternative to burying* the plastic on your land.

Council residents can recycle silage wrap for free at Transfer Stations in Adelong, Batlow, Khancoban, Talbingo, Tumbarumba and Tumut.

How to recycle your silage wrap

  • First ensure your silage wrap is clean, dry and free of contaminants
  • Gather silage wrap in bulka bags or loose
  • Ensure you remove all net wrapping and bale twine
  • Ensure bulka bags can be rolled off vehicles or trailers
  • Inappropriately packed or contaminated wrap may be refused

Silage wraps are made from Linear Low Density Polyethylene (LLDPE).  The collected plastic will be transported to a suitable facility and recycled into a range of products from stock crush paneling and flooring, to worm farms and compost bins.

Click here to download more information on recycling your farm sliage wrap.(PDF, 4MB)

*Please don't burn your silage wrap, not only is it illegal but is also releases harmful greenhouse gasses and pollutants into the air.