Development is the collective term for making changes to your land, buildings, or the way they are used.

A development may include any of the following:

  • Installing a swimming pool
  • Renovations to an existing dwelling or building
  • New dwelling or building
  • Setting up a cafe
  • Subdivision

For any questions or to make a time to meet with one of our Building & Development team call our Customer Service Team: P: 1300 ASK SVC (1300 275 782) or E: [email protected]

Most building works or renovations will require Council approval before work can start, however some smaller projects may not. 

Learn more about the types of development and what approvals you may need.

  • Exempt Development

Exempt Development is defined as a development that is done on certain residential, commercial and industrial properties that result in minimal impact on the local environment.  

Small scale and low impact developments such as: decks, fences, bbqs, pergolas, sheds, and privacy screens may not need Council consent if you proposal meets specified criteria.

Find more examples of Exempt Development at the NSW Planning Portal.

NSW Planning Portal.

  • Complying Development

Complying Development is a way of ‘fast tracking’ smaller and less complicated proposals through the approvals process. These are straightforward residential, commercial and industrial developments including renovations, extensions, first floor additions and garages.  

Providing the development meets specific criteria it can be determined with a fast track approval process by an accredited certifier, without the need for the submission of a full Development Application.   

To find out if your proposed development is classed as a Complying Development visit the NSW Planning Portal.

NSW Planning Portal  

  • Local Development

Local Development covers all building and development not classed as either Exempt or Complying. These developments require approval from Council and involve applying for Development Consent (DC) using a Development Application (DA).

Development Consent is valid for up to five years but may be subject to various conditions that need to be met before work can begin on-site.

If the proposal involves new building works, then a Construction Certificate (CC) must be obtained before work starts on-site. 

A DC and CC can be applied for at the same time. This works well for smaller less complex proposals such as a single dwelling that cannot meet the requirements for a Complying Development; however for larger or more complicated projects you may submit the Development Application initially and then apply for a Construction Certificate at a later date when the project is ready to start