Lodging an Application

We encourage you to review the information provided here and then book a time to meet and discuss your proposal with our Building & Development team.  Contact us during business hours to make an appointment:  P: 1300 ASK SVC (1300 275 782)  or E: [email protected]

The type of information required for a Development Application (DA) will vary depending upon the nature, scale and complexity of your development proposal.  Generally, a DA must have sufficient information to enable clear understanding of the proposal and its impacts. 

DA Application Checklist(PDF, 163KB)

Some of the information you will need to provide with your DA includes:

  • Site Plan
  • Floor Plan
  • Elevations
  • Statement of Environmental Effects
  • Building Sustainability Index (BASIX) Report
  • Other Information

If the proposal involves new building works, then as well as a DA you must also apply for a Construction Certificate (CC) before work starts on-site.

A DA and CC can be submitted at the same time. This works well for smaller less complex proposals such as a single dwelling (that cannot meet the requirements for a Complying Development), however larger or more complicated projects may submit just a DA initially and a CC at a later date when the project is ready to start.

Site Plan

A plan of the site drawn to scale and including all of the following details:

  • Allotment boundaries and dimensions
  • North point relative to the site
  • Location and name of adjoining roads and laneways
  • Location of any easements (existing and proposed), rights-of-way or natural watercourses on or adjoining the site
  • Existing buildings on the site (show outline)
  • Location of proposed building work (distinguish from existing buildings by suitable shading)
  • Distances from site boundaries to proposed building walls, eaves and guttering
  • Distance from existing buildings
  • Details of existing and proposed stormwater drainage systems
  • Location and type of existing trees on the site
  • Ground levels (existing in relation to proposed)
  • Any areas proposed to be cut and/or filled (or existing filled areas)
  • Location of utility services if not within an easement
  • Soil erosion and sediment control measures to be utilised


Floor Plan

A floor plan is required for the entire building works or the portion of any existing building that is proposed to be modified. The plan should be at a minimum scale of 1:100 and indicate all exterior dimensions and wall thicknesses. In the case of alterations or additions, you need to clearly distinguish between existing and proposed building work.

The location of doors and windows must be shown on the plan together with all proposed kitchen, bathroom, water closet and laundry fixtures.


The application must include elevations showing the external appearance of each side of the proposed building and at least one section.  Drawings should be of minimum scale 1:100 and clearly show existing and proposed ground levels and their relationship to existing and proposed buildings.

All elevations must be fully dimensioned and include the following details:

  • Floor levels in relation to ground levels
  • Finished floor to ceiling height
  • The overall height of the building
  • Roof pitch (degrees)
  • Details of all external building materials and colours

In the case of alterations or additions, you need to clearly distinguish between existing and proposed building work.


Statement of Environmental Effects

A Statement of Environmental Effects is essentially the proposal in writing.

Council is required to take into account various matters relating to the natural and built environment when assessing applications. Applicants are therefore required to undertake a site analysis and detail any likely impacts of the development, particularly on neighbouring properties, and specify how the applicant proposes to minimise the impacts.

A site analysis is the identification of elements such as physical site constraints, natural features, orientation to natural sunlight and the location of neighbours living areas. Such an analysis is seen as the basis for good design.

Building Sustainability Index (BASIX) Report

The BASIX report applies to all residential dwelling types and is part of the development application process in NSW.

You can complete the BASIX assessment on-line via the NSW planning portal. Once all sections are passed a certificate can be generated.

BASIX Online Tool


Complex Proposals

For more complex proposals (eg medium density residential, commercial and industrial development) the following additional information is also required:

  • Details of car parking, traffic circulation and vehicular entry / exit, including truck turning circles if applicable
  • Detailed landscape plan
  • Proposed method of drainage
  • Hours of operation (if a commercial/retail operation)
  • Type, size and quantity of goods to be made, stored or transported
  • Plant and machinery to be installed
  • Details of access and facilities for disabled people


Shadow Diagram

A shadow diagram may be required where lot size, orientation of buildings, slope of site or adjoining buildings, create the potential for overshadowing.

The plan must illustrate the extent of shadows cast by existing and proposed buildings, including buildings on adjoining land. The plan must be drawn to a suitable scale and show shadows cast by buildings at the winter solstice (22 Jun) for 9.00am, 12.00noon and 3.00pm.


Water & Sewer

If the proposed development will have a significant impact on Council’s water and sewerage infrastructure, Council will request the submission of a Section 305 Application at the same time as your DA.

Rural Dwellings

The following additional information is required for rural dwelling applications:

  • Details of water supply and storage
  • Details of the proposed means of sewage disposal
  • Details of the existing/proposed power source
  • Details of the proposed means of household waste disposal
  • Details of vehicular access to the house site (indicate whether proposed or existing) including point of entry to a public road, all-weather internal access and any significant earthworks

Please ensure that the entrance to the property is clearly identified and the building site pegged.

Further information regarding rural dwellings is available in Council’s Development Control Plans –Rural Residential Development.


Heritage Impact Statement

If it is the case that the proposed development will be occurring on land on which a heritage listed item is situated you will need to consider how the proposed development will affect the existing heritage listed item and have a Heritage Impact Statement prepared by an appropriately qualified person.

Refer to the Council’s Development Control Plans and address the requirements of the Heritage Conservation chapter.


Impact on Threatened Species

Council is required to determine whether the development proposal will affect threatened species, a critical habitat or ecological community. Therefore, it is good practice for applicants to review the impact of their proposals.

If there is likely to be a significant impact, the DA must be supported by a Species Impact Statement and Council will refer the application to the NSW Office of Environment & Heritage (OEH) for approval.


Impact on Aboriginal Objects

Council is required to determine whether the development proposal will affect any Aboriginal objects or places. If there is likely to be a significant impact, the DA must be supported by any documentation as required by the NSW Office of Environment & Heritage (OEH).

The application will also be referred to the OEH for approval.  For more information on Aboriginal Heritage Impact Permits visit the OEH website


Potentially Contaminated Sites

Contaminated land comprises land in, on or under which any substance is present at a concentration above that naturally present and that poses, or is likely to pose, an immediate or long-term risk to human health or the environment.

Land contamination is linked to past uses and may result from activities that took place on or adjacent to a site or from activities not directly related to the site.

Council is required to consider the possibility that a previous land use has caused contamination on the site. Therefore you are required to declare any known past or present activity that may cause contamination.

In cases where a DA is lodged and the site is potentially contaminated, you must undertake a preliminary investigation (by way of soil sampling) to ascertain the extent of contamination and whether further investigation works are required.

Refer to Council’s Development Control Plans for more information on contaminated land.