Pay my Rates

There are two options for payment of rates:

  1. Payment in full by 31 August
  2. Quarterly instalments which are due on 31 August, 30 November, 28 February and 31 May 

Daily interest charges will accrue on any unpaid rates. 

 If you are experiencing financial difficulties and need time to pay please contact our Customer Service Team on 1300 275 782 (1300 ASK SVC)

Help save the planet!  Get your rates notices via email! Click here to register to have your rates notices emailed to you.

Need to change your billing address?

Click here to go to our forms page, there you can easily search for the change-of-address-form

Credit Card

Step 1.Pay over the internet with your credit card


Step 2.Pay by phone with your Mastercard or Visacard

The phone payment line is a 24 hour service. Calls are charged at the cost of a local call (mobiles extra). 

Phone:  1300 276 468

Or Call our Customer Service Team to pay by phone with your Mastercard or Visacard during business hours

Phone: 1300 275 782 (1300 ASK SVC)




To use BPAY or BPAY View online you need to register for Internet banking with your participating bank, credit union or building society.  Once registered, use the information on your bill to make your payment.

For more information visit the BPay website


Other Options

Step 1.Australia Post

Rates and Water Payments only

Customers can pay their bill in person at any Australian Post Office - cash, cheque or EFTPOS are available.


Step 2.Post

Post Cheque or Money Orders (made payable to Snowy Valleys Council) to:

  • SVC, 76 Capper Street, Tumut, NSW 2720


Step 3.Centrelink 

Payments may be deducted from Centrelink benefits.

Please contact your Centrelink office or go to


In Person

Payments may be made at Council Offices; Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm (excluding public holidays):

Tumbarumba Office - Bridge Street, Tumbarumba

Tumut Office - 76 Capper Street, Tumut

Payments can also be made at

  • Adelong, Batlow and Talbingo Libraries during normal opening hours




Why do I pay rates?

Income from rates is used to maintain and provide services and facilities for the total area within Council's boundaries. Rates are calculated on the value of your land which is determined by the Valuer General, and then a rate in the $ levy is applied to this value.

Is Council's income totally derived from Rates?

Income generated by rates makes up approximately 25% of Council's total yearly income.

How are my Rates calculated?

Rates are calculated on the value of your land which is determined by the Valuer General and a rate in the $ levy is applied to this value. Added to this are the fixed annual charges for sewerage and waste services to all areas where these services are supplied.

Are all levies the same?

Rate levies vary according to the category of the land: eg Residential, Business, Rural Residential or Farmland. The property's category is based on the primary use of the property.

What is rate pegging?

Rate pegging is the percentage limit by which Council may increase the total income it will receive from rates. The rate pegging percentage is set each year by the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) on behalf of the State Government.

What is meant by Base and Ad Valorem rates?

The base amount is a fixed amount and is the same for every property within the same rating category.  Eg: Residential – 50% base rate.

The ad valorem amount is calculated by multiplying the rateable value of a property (which is set by Office of the Valuer General) by a rate set in the dollar by Council.   Council sets the rate each year.  This rate is shown on your Annual Rates notice.

Detailed tables are provided in each year's Revenue Policy that shows base amounts and ad valorem rates for property categories across our region. Planning and Reporting

Can my Rates increase by more than the limit allowed by the State Government?


The Rates paid by some rate ratepayers may increase, decrease or stay the same in regard to the rate peg % limit set by the Independent Pricing & Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) on behalf of the State Government each year. This will occur only as a result of a General Revaluation of all land values, which occurs every 3 years. (The determining factor is the land valuation on EACH individual property).

OR, if Council is successful in an application to IPART for a Special Rate Variation above the set Rate Peg % amount for that year, which can be effective for up to 7 years.

So why have my Rates increased and others decreased?

Land values generally increase over time. If the land values issued at the time of the General revaluation were used to generate Council’s Rate income at the rate in the dollar used for the previous year's calculations, then Council would raise more income than it is allowed.

In order to contain Council's income within the allowable limits, Council must reduce the rate in the dollar for each rating category. As the same rate in the dollar is then applied to each property within a rating category, the actual amount of rates payable is determined by the individual land valuation of the property.

As a result, due to the individual changes in Land Valuations for individual Ratepayers, some Ratepayers will experience variations in their Rates that will either increase, or decrease their rates for the first year after a General Revaluation.

If I have to pay more in rates will council be delivering more services? 

Overall the amount of rates Council collects will not increase due to a new ratings structure. Income generated by rates makes up approximately 25% of Council's total yearly income. Council will continue to maintain current service levels including programs for improving roads, trees and community spaces.

I don't agree with my land value. What can I do?

All enquiries relating to your land value should be directed to the Office of the Valuer General on 1800 110 038.

Click here to download the Land Value Fact Sheet(PDF, 78KB) or visit their website to learn more about the valuation of land.

How can I apply for a pensioner concession?

You will need to complete a pensioner concession application form.

You must hold a current Pensioner Concession Card or Department of Veterans Affairs Card issued by the Commonwealth Government.

You must also be the owner/occupier of the property the rate rebate application is for.

Click here to access our forms page to download the Council Pensioner Concession Rates Rebate Application Form or call our Customer Service team during business hours 1300 275 782 (1300 ASK SVC)

What if I am having difficulty paying my Rates?

Arrangements can be made with Council to help make your payments more manageable.

Methods currently available are: Direct Debit, B-Pay and Centrelink Deductions and some employers offer payroll deductions (check with your employer).

Please phone Council to discuss your individual circumstances during business hours on 1300 275 782 (1300 ASK SVC)


The NSW Valuer General oversees the valuation system and issues details to property owners and local Councils.

Click here to download the 'Your Land Value - Fact Sheet'(PDF, 78KB)

For more information, visit NSW Valuer General website.

Council has also developed an information video, which you can watch by clicking here


Your 2021/22 rates notice now reflects the introduction of the new, harmonised rating structure for Snowy Valleys Council.

Rates harmonisation has required the contribution from each property to be recalculated. This process has not increased the total amount of income Council receives from rates.

Any increase to Council’s income requires a Special Rate Variation application, community consultation and approval from the NSW Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal.

What has changed

The Snowy Valleys Council rating structure now uses a set base rate amount for each category to which an ad valorem amount is added. ‘Ad valorem’ describes how a rating amount is calculated using the individual property value set by the NSW Valuer General.

The Rural Residential rating category has been removed, with those properties now falling into the Residential category.

A new Mining category has been introduced.

One rating structure

Council endorsed and confirmed the harmonised rating structure under S497(b) NSW Local Government Act 1993 as follows:

  • Residential – 50% base rate and ad valorem
  • Business – 10% redistribution to other categories, 10% base rate and ad valorem
  • Farmland – 10% base rate and ad valorem
  • Mining – set at the business base rate (estimated 6%) and ad valorem


Call 1300 275 782 or email [email protected] for assistance with rates or water enquiries.